A Collection of Stuff

A Collection of News and Other Stuff to Help You Improve Your Business



Friday, December 30, 2011

Does Anybody Care Anymore?

The last time I looked, there was some pretty intense competition out there, no matter what industry you're in. I guess that's why it is so hard for me to understand why some people and companies don't seem to care very much anymore about how they treat their customers or potential customers.

The potential loss of revenue due to losing a customer is sizable. And here's the best thing 81% of customers don't tell you they are leaving. They just leave. Add to that the cost to acquire a new customer, and we're talking some serious dollars here. Then, why the apparent apathy?


Let me give you two personal examples. We have a landscaper that we have been with for seven years. We have had our issues from time to time, but he generally does a good job and is quite reasonable. On the last issue we had, regarding the replacement of some bad (and guaranteed) sod, this guy has proven totally unresponsive. After numerous phone calls and notes on his invoices (I know he looks at them!). We still are waiting for a response. In the last note, I even threatened him with the loss of my business. I'm still waiting! I can't believe he has that much business that he can afford to throw away long time customers.

Recently, we found ourselves less than pleased with the quality of our house cleaning service (not we're not rich, we both work full time). Being action oriented we began to look elsewhere and contacted a prospective new service. The owner made an appointment to visit us and give us an estimate. She never showed up and never even called! Again, I can't believe it. 

I was raised in the Midwest where a very strong work ethic was instilled in me at a very early age. I guess I just can't understand the way some people and companies approach their businesses. A former boss had a phrase for this type of behavior. He called it "satisfactory underperformance."

There is another side to this. Run your business like you care about your customers and potential customers. From what I've observed lately, you'll be miles ahead of most of your competition.


Dave Janosz
Marketing Manager
Custom Components Company

No comments:

Post a Comment